19 September 2013

AIDS WALK PORTLAND!

Today I met with Marc Kochanski, the Volunteer Coordinator with Cascade AIDS Project in Portland. I signed up online to volunteer with the upcoming AIDS walk, but had to miss the volunteer orientation scheduled for Tuesday at 5pm due to IEL. Marc spared some time to give me a personal orientation which ended up being more beneficial to me than I anticipated.

When I arrived, I was surprised at how polished the offices looked. I assumed (naughty), because I had not previously heard about CAP, it would be located in a small, dingy office with the mess of preparing for such a large event sprawled everywhere. Shame on me. The lobby had a receptionist who greeted me and called Marc to let him know I had arrived. She immediately offered me a drink from the coffee cart and said that Marc would be out shortly.

I arrived a tad early, but only waited a few minutes before Marc walked through the door and welcomed me to CAP. As I walked through the doors to the treatment and prevention side, Marc told me about CAP and the services they provide. He must have seen my look of surprise because he offered to show me around afterward. I was again offered coffee before we started in on the orientation.

My first impression of CAP was great. They provide service to over 1,000 individuals in the greater Portland area both in housing and work support as well as prevention and treatment. CAP relies on more than 600 volunteers with only 60 members of staff - and each person I met seemed passionate about their work. For more information or ways to get involved, please visit cascadeaids.org.

Marc's enthusiasm about CAP and the AIDS walk was obvious (and a little contagious!). I am very excited for the event and hope there is an immense turnout. It looks as though the weather might not improve for the weekend, but I hope that the weather will bring the community together at the event.

Speaking of the community, my professor actually offered the AIDS walk as an extra credit opportunity. He wanted to get us involved with the greater Portland community as well as raise awareness for HIV/AIDS and figured extra credit would be a good reason as any to involve students. My professor had intended to give extra credit for walkers, but because I had already applied as a volunteer, he extended the opportunity to volunteers as well. WIN!

Anyway, I'm very excited for the AIDS walk this weekend. I am a route monitor, meaning I stand around and point walkers in the right direction and warn them of any oncoming buses or streetcars. I hope despite the forecasted weather, people will be spirited - and if not, that's the other half of my job description! I will definitely be the cheerful volunteer, waving and dancing around and shouting encouragement to the walkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment