28 September 2013

Friendship is in Actions

Clarification: I have no idea what friendship is. I have ideas, opinions, and slight perceptions of it, yes, but the actual concept is so confusingly ambiguous that I have no definite idea what friendship. I do believe, however, that friendship, like faith, is in actions. 

A friend came to visit yesterday despite the stormy weather and languorous journey. That in itself is worthy of appreciation. The fact that my friend came up the day I completed my first nursing school exam, when I was exhausted and wanted to relax was a godsend. There are some friends that I do not feel as if I have to entertain them and this friend was one of them - yet another reason I appreciate her visit (no drama or maintenance). Also, my friend is so very in tune with my personality that mind-reading is a common occurrence. 

Meeting my friend in the lobby of my residence hall elicited an involuntary response - squealing, jumping, and giggling. We were a sight to see! Reuniting with my friend was fantastic, but it was not until much later that I really felt our reconnection. My friend and I went out for fries just after 10pm and spent the next 3 hours talking about everything that came to mind. We discussed war, love, anxiety, friends, philosophy, politics, and more - simply because the topics came up naturally. My friend and I spoke freely, not feeling the need to disclaim nor withhold anything. 

Our conversation made me frustrated that I cannot speak this way with many people in my life simply because they do not initially feel comfortable or if they do, they almost immediately become defensive. It bothers me that I am more trusting in the people that consistently show that I am their friend. Not necessarily through excessive compliments or Facebook posts, but through subtle gestures such as listening to what I have to say and responding accordingly, asking questions when needed, and not judging me based on my (sometimes inadequate) verbal skills.

I am not interested in flashy friendships. I am interested in friendships that exemplify the different aspects of love, as written in the passage:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  
 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Although it seems as though I have high standards for friends, I try thinking of it as something I should strive to be for my friends as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment