25 July 2013

2am Tea

A few years ago, I woke up extremely early during the summer and had a cup of tea. Granted, 5am isn't terribly early, but it was back then! At that point I realized I would probably end up being a morning person considering how much I enjoyed the calm of the morning.

Since then, I've made it a point to wake up early and have a cup of tea at least once during the summer. I've never really pushed myself to get up earlier than 5am, so I set a challenge on The List to get up at 2am and have tea. I figured if I could get up at 2am and have tea I would be the ultimate morning person!

Anyway, I woke up this morning at 2am and had a nice cup of tea. Normally I would sit outside on the balcony and enjoy watching the sunrise, but it was ridiculously cold so I opted to sit indoors, light a candle, snuggle up in a blanket, and watch All About Eve. (It's from AFI's 100 Best Films list and also part of one of my challenges.) The movie kind of gave a theme to my early morning contemplations... Lately I've been thinking about manipulation.

In the movie, the character Eve Harrington manipulates the truth and the people around her that could have genuinely been her friends. The occasion arrises when she gets her own, but it takes another person a lot more manipulative to do that. People around me have been manipulating me and manipulating the truth and, frankly, I can't stand it. It's more than frustrating.

Fortunately, having tea so early gave me enough peace, quiet, and time to think about the people and situations that are causing so much havoc in my life and give me a little perspective on my thoughts and actions in dealing with them.

I'm not saying it's a good thing for everyone to do, considering schedules and, simply, personality differences, but it's something I like doing and will continue to do so every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment