19 July 2013

Adventuretime: Tacoma Art Museum

As part of the Tacoma Art Walk, the Tacoma Art Museum not only stays open late from 5-8pm but is also free during that time on the third Thursday of the month. Whenever I'm in town I try to make it there and usually take a friend or two with me to make a night of it. Last night was the third Thursday of the month, so I of course gathered a couple people and went. My special guests of the evening were two of my aunts. My mother was supposed to come as well, but ended up staying home. Although these particular aunts and my mother all live in the same general area, they don't see much of each other, nevertheless spend time together apart from gatherings at my grandparents so I thought it would be nice to have a sort of "sisters evening."

Glass orbs in the midst of the museum.
Anyway, the ongoing Eric Carle (known for The Very Hungry Caterpillar) exhibition was spectacular! We weren't allowed to photography any of his pieces, but there were some cool stamps and book covers displayed. There were also a few other pieces displayed that I had never seen before including some street art. I didn't know Eric Carle did street photography! I wrote down a sentiment expressed on one of the labels that I thought was interesting:


Carl has always been interested in details and when at a museum will stand very close to see the brush strokes in a small section of a painting. His photographic street art zooms in on the often overlooked details that Carle finds so compelling in art and in the world around him.  
Now for pictures. First of all, we didn't arrive with much time before closing so I mainly photographed the glass pieces from the Dale Chihuly collection. Secondly, I really like glass. Thirdly, these are only a few of my favorite pieces. Enjoy!

From the Dale Chihuly collection.
From the Dale Chihuly collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment