10 July 2013

Book Review: Animal Farm

I read Animal Farm as part of the challenge to read at least 50 books on the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels List. Reading through the introduction and preface, I initially thought I wouldn't be able to separate the novel from actual historical events. Animal Farm definitely served as a reminder as several revolutions in history. I took a class this past semester on revolutions in 20th century Latin America and much of what the animals on the farm were experiencing was experienced by actual citizens and revolutionaries of Latin American states. There was a sentiment written in the introduction that I agree completely with - the novel has a way of "[moving] by not seeking to move; almost, it seems, by not seeking to move." Animal Farm has a way of presenting political tactics and rebellion in a simple and appealing manner. I would give it four and half (out of five) blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment