12 July 2013

Sister Bonding Time!

My sister and I weren't always close. In fact, I have a very distinct memory of me thinking, "Well she's graduating this year. I suppose I ought to be nice to her." She was graduating 8th grade - and to me that was a big deal. I'm two and a half years her minor, but despite the age difference, I still consider her my younger sister. Toya (my nickname for her, pronounced "toy-uh") is not only sillier than me, far more creative than me, but shorter than me as well. That being said, I look up to her very much. 
Outside of the salon with our newly manicured nails.
Anyway, Toya and I don't get to hangout by ourselves very often. With a large-ish family like ours, it's hard to have any alone time together. Today we decided to get French manicures at Unique Nails in Tacoma. Toya had never had a French manicure before and we had decided to splurge a little and get gel manicures, so it was exciting. I was grateful I got to experience another "first" with Toya. What I mean is, Toya and I are leading physically separate lives now. She's finished with college now and I'm still traveling back and forth between home and college. She's entering "real life" now and I realize it will be harder and harder to spend time with each other, despite all that technology and social media has to offer. It's not like we're going our separate ways - we're still family, of course. It just makes me appreciate the little things, especially the "firsts" that we haven't experienced that we wouldn't normally experience together now that we're older. Plus, I will definitely miss having someone to be ridiculous with!

No comments:

Post a Comment