02 March 2014

My 21st Birthday

On the dawn of my 21st birthday, I spent some time reflecting on my life thus far.

The eve of my birthday was spent at my aunt's house, eating nachos and watching re-runs of the Olympics. I browsed the internet and ate more than my fill and finally caved in for the evening. I thought I would read instead of watching an episode of Pretty Little Liars on Netflix (DON'T JUDGE ME), thinking that watching Netflix would keep me up. What a mistake I made! The chapter I read kept me up for hours, leading me to my internal reflection.

The thing is, I have felt so much regret about my childhood and adolescence for as long as I can remember. For a long time now I have strived to live virtuously in the present and work towards a better future. Only recently have I truly accepted I cannot change the past and as I lay thinking about my life so far, I cried out, thanking God for the way my life is now. Despite the troubles I have had, I have moved past them to become the woman I am. That is not to say I am perfect, but I feel more comfortable in my skin than I have ever felt.

I promise, this all sounds more dramatic than I intended it to be. The emotions I experienced that night were fleeting, as all emotions are, but gave way to a sort of enlightenment. I am not, nor will I ever be back in my past. That in itself is a blessing. I suppose this all sounds a bit fantastic and ridiculous, but I have waited a week to express in writing the thoughts and feelings I endured that night to ensure that the experience was not entirely delusional.

Of course, once I awoke the next morning it was all about the joy of being with family and finally being "of age." Although 21 years old is commonly recognized as being of legal drinking age, it means a bit more for me. I consider it an inevitable right of passage in which I become a "proper" adult.

I noticed even before my birthday how attitudes have changed upon acknowledgment of one's age. Pardon my colloquialism, but since when has age been such a big deal? That being said, I will enjoy finally being able to drink legally. The only problem I can foresee in the near future is what drink to try next.

No comments:

Post a Comment