08 November 2013

Corrido Calavera

Tonight I went to a show put on by Teatro Milagro of Portland called Corrido Calavera. It is about a young married couple, Amanda and Manuel, who die in a car accident and are sent to the world of the dead. There, they meet a cast of characters who try to help them reconcile their deteriorating marriage (pun intended).

It was a great show. It even had musical numbers! The lighting, the costumes, and the characters were all fantastic. I just wish I could have taken more pictures!


It was a black box theater, meaning the entire room was painted black and the audience was seated in the same place as the staging area. I was lucky enough to be seated in the front row, toward the center of the theater, so I had pretty great view of everything.

The main characters hid in coffins on display when the house opened and emerged when called upon by the rest of the cast members to rise again. The cast members all wore black jumpsuits with hoods, gloves, and shoes with bones painted on with various distinguishing costume pieces. Although there were only eight or so cast members, each person played more than one character. It was so amusing to see how their costume changed with their character's voice and mannerisms!

Anyway, I laughed, I cried, I mourned... It was a great night.

The altar in the foyer with pictures of honored deceased.

No comments:

Post a Comment