04 November 2013

Why is Monday Nicknamed John?

Because Monday was long.

I am not sure where that cheesiness came from, although today was indeed long. I was determined to get as much done as possible, but the more I progressed, the more unnecessary distractions and obstacles arose. Long story short, today was not my finest day.

I lost my patience and a bit of my compassion. As much as I would like to simplify it to my frustration getting the best of me, I feel slightly ashamed that one "bad" day caused me to react so poorly. I could blame it on stress or lack of sleep, but in all honestly, I could have kept my calm.

I cannot help worrying about how my future career and how I still have so much yet to learn. Late-night shifts, long shifts, and troublesome patients are still in my future and I need to be able to regulate my emotions better in order to provide the best care for my patients.

With all that has occurred today, the most embarrassing part is the fact that I actually feel ashamed of my emotions. Should I really have to "battle" with my emotions as a nurse? If I do, I wonder if it will always be this way...

No comments:

Post a Comment