06 November 2013

Grey's Anatomy: An Overanalysis

Despite feeling weary of my workload, I am grateful for one thing - Netflix.

Now hear me out. I love watching movies, but I honestly do not have the capacity for sitting through an hour and a half or longer film that I would not be able to remember even if I did sit through it. Netflix offers a variety of television shows that I can put on as background noise or watch on a short break. I have no qualms about pausing the show because I know it will still be there when I am ready to continue it. It is better than DVR because I do not necessarily have to share what I am watching with others!

Anyway, recently I have been watching Grey's Anatomy. As if I could not get enough healthcare culture in my life, I like watching the show about surgical intern doctors living in Seattle. There is medicine, healthcare providers, and drama! Although I do not consider it a realistic representation of the healthcare industry, I have picked out several instances where my education has already helped me feel prepared for my future career.

Grey's Anatomy has also taught me a few things - and I am only in the midst of season 2! One episode struck me as particularly important to remember when interacting with other healthcare providers. The episode in which the nurses are on strike reminded me of the fact that all of our responsibility is to our patients. A few nurses are providing specific information about patients they would like an intern to check on and when the intern protests their requests, one nurse replies, "They're our patients too."


The succinctness of the nurse's reply in that particular episode was remarkable. The implication that the doctors were not the only ones responsible for their patients was very clear. Coincidentally, I read about the national standards of interpreters in healthcare for next week's communication class which outlined the practices of interpreters in the the medical process. Although interpreters' role is refined compared to nurses' roles, the common ground is the dedication to the patient.

Why is it then, that the relationships between different healthcare providers can be so tense? I do not mean simply the primary care provider and nursing staff, I mean the shaman, priest, and psychiatrist too. Should patients be metaphorically "claimed" by departments? Holistic care can offer so much more to patients - particularly through utilizing the multitude of resources available in the healthcare industry these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment