19 June 2014

Cirque du Soleil: Totem

Months ago, I had the opportunity to attend Cirque du Soleil's Totem in Portland. This post has been a long time coming - for some reason I could not stop myself from raving about how much I loved Totem and how much I wanted to run away with the circus. I think by now I have finally formed a semi-coherent message.

Just looking at this photo makes my heart race. The entrance to the grand chateau.

As soon as I saw the tents from the highway, I squealed. There is something about the swirl of blue and yellow that excites my inner child. The circus is here! The circus is here! I look forward to seeing the strange costumes, listening to the beautiful music, and watching the amazing acrobats perform. Every show is unique, but each re-ignites my imagination. Entering the tent is similar to walking through the wardrobe into Narnia; a magnificent world lies within.


The inside of the tent. The umbrellas changed colors sporadically.

It is pronounced To-tem, not To-tem. That is one of the first things I noticed about the show. The next thing I noticed was the staging and lights. There was a mountainous rock placed at the base of a hill-like structure. A life-like stream of water was projected over the structure leading down to the rock. It seemed as though the audience was amidst a rainforest with reeds swaying at the top of the hill.

My brother and I stare in awe as we walk through the tent's entrance.

One of the things I will always appreciate about le Cirque is its theatricality. It always has the perfect mix of flair and humor balanced with a message. For several shows now, I have taken in the performance then reflected on its meaning. Sometimes I will purchase the program to gain insight into the story flowing through the performance, but oftentimes a deeper message is presented. Either that or I truly do find meaning in nothing...

I do love a good bucket of popcorn.
Staging and lighting - beautiful as ever.

Apart from a wonderful message and beautiful audio and visual effects, I enjoy spending time with others who appreciate the performances. Each have their own thrilling feats and incredible designs that are only possible in Cirque du Soleil. Take a moment to consider that circuses, in essence, celebrate the spectacular. It seems that no organization does it best than le Cirque.


My family and I posing after the performance. Or at least trying to.

No comments:

Post a Comment