10 June 2014

Traveling with Liv: Airports and Flying


With my increasing interest in traveling, I thought I would do a post about my traveling essentials. (Not that I am in any way qualified as a traveling guru.)

Firstly I gather all my traveling bags. I start off with choosing a bright, versatile purse. Then I bring out my gunslingers - my backpack and suitcase. My backpack is deceivingly large. I typically use it for overnighter stays as it is easy to pack and carry and is suitable for almost any change in weather I may experience. The suitcase is actually borrowed from my father, but I loved it so much that he "permanently-temporarily lent" it to me. It has separate compartments perfect for electronic cords, shoes, and liquids. The compactness and reversible wheels of the suitcase make it all the more appealing for traveling. 

Next up to pack are the electronics: my laptop, camera, and earphones. My camera is a Nikon Coolpix - not the best, but perfect for traveling. I use rechargeable batteries for my camera so I typically also pack the battery charger. Depending on the destination, I may also pack an external battery pack for my iPhone. The earphones I use are Skullcandy. I have had them for years and I will never use another kind! They have a volume adjuster and a microphone on the left ear strand which makes multitasking so much easier. They also stay in my ear really well during exercise making them all the more valuable.

I also pack an empty water bottle - REMEMBER TO KEEP HYDRATED!

I typically arrive around 2-3 hours before my departure in order to bustle through security and whatnot. As bad as everyone makes getting through security seem, it is not the worst experience one could have. Granted, I do spend a majority of my time the night before a flight checking and double-checking security information to make sure I am in compliance.

Once through security, I immediately head for the nearest Starbucks or other coffee stop available. Although flying can be dehydrating, I make sure I am caffeinated for the flight so I do not experience jet-lag.
Sometimes I will buy extra snacks, as pictured. Lately I have been trying to not snack as much and stay healthy while traveling, but I felt a few solid weeks of nursing school was deserving of a small tin of Pringles and gum.

After my mini-shopping spree, I settle in for about an hour with various forms of social media, such as Blogger, Twitter, and Tumblr. As much as my online interaction relaxes me, oftentimes I find myself befriending others on the flight - which can prove useful in situations when there is a full flight!

Occasionally, I spend some time writing out lists or jotting down thoughts as they come to me. Then, I will simply sit and people-watch for the remainder of the time before boarding.

After I board, I try to make myself as comfortable as possible to endure a long flight. Frequently my friendliness pays off and I am able to enjoy a conversation or two before either dropping off to sleep or settling into a good book.

At some point during the flight, I make sure to fill my water bottle if I have not already. I also try to remember to take a stretch break every once and a while to walk to the bathroom and back. I tend to get restless toward the end of the flight when seatbelts are required and aisle use is limited, so taking stretch breaks alleviates any tension that accumulates.
Upon landing, I make sure to thank and say goodbye to all those that I encountered on the flight. Depending on the airline, I sometimes see the stewards and stewardesses on my return flight. I figure if I am nice to them then they may remember me the next time and will return the kindness. 

Gathering my belongings can be tedious, but I try to remind myself that despite its discomforts, flying allows me to enjoy my destination for longer.

For example, hopping off a plane and driving straight to the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment