08 June 2014

Pentecost: Happy Birthday to the Church!

As I may have mentioned, I am a Catholic and today I celebrated the feast of Pentecost. Although I do not know what the word "pentecost" actually means, I do know what it stands for in the Church. Centuries ago, the apostles were visited by the Holy Spirit and were given the ability to speak in different languages to spread the Good News.

The first thing that I am reminded of during Pentecost is my inability to speak more than one language comfortably. The gift that the Holy Spirit gave the apostles was an incredible gift and one that was not taken lightly. The ability to communicate with thousands upon thousands of people without language barriers impeding on the direct message is amazing. It reminds me of a character from one of my favorite books, Bel Canto, who is a translator of many languages. His actions brought together a people who had otherwise lost their common link.

The second thing that Pentecost reminds me of is the Holy Spirit. I have always had a better relationship with the Holy Spirit than God the Father and God the Son, or so it feels like. I trust in the feelings that move me to do something kind or compassionate because I know it is the Holy Spirit. I frequently ask God to let the Holy Spirit guide me in such a way that I do His Will and that my thoughts and actions will be sensitive to His presence in others.

The last, but not least, thing Pentecost reminds me of is the Church. The Holy Spirit is one of the most important parts of the Church, whether or not we realize it. It is the Holy Spirit which united the early Church and which continues to unite us today.

That being said, Happy Birthday Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment