17 June 2014

My Cousin's Graduation Part #2

My cousin graduated this past Wednesday in the top 5% of her class! Family and friends all congregated on Saturday to celebrated her accomplishments, including but not limited to committing to play soccer at a local college. She is also one of the most humble people I know - a trait that will be exemplified in the following reflection.

The graduate on the right along with her sister, her brother, our cousin and I.

The celebration itself was wonderful - lots of conversation, food, and fun. The majority of my extended family was there as well as the majority of my cousin's extended family was there. I have spent more and more time over the years with my cousin's family and thus have spent time with my cousin's extended family.

My great-aunts and grandma having a lively conversation on the couch.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got out of the car near my cousin's house and two of her small cousins ran up and hugged me. They were happy to see me! I ventured inside and saw that there were people who I recognized from previous gatherings including my cousin's neighbors and fellow church members. It was great to see familiar faces.

My cousin playing chair for my brother.

As I spoke about my education thus far and how passionate I am about nursing, I imagined my cousin in a year's time doing the same thing. After a while, I noticed that my cousin spent most of her time huddling in corners and generally looking worn-out. When I finally got the chance to speak to her, I found out she was ill. Can you imagine? Feeling ill at a graduation celebration, nevertheless one's own! My cousin tried to be as present to others as she could be while she was battling nausea and a severe headache. Bless. I may have enjoyed her party more than she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment