07 October 2013

In Honor of Guella's Birthday: An Appreciation Post

I would like to try something new... An appreciation post. I want to appreciate all the people that foster the good in someone of a younger generation, whether it be a parent, mentor, sibling, or friend. It is people like you that make such an impact on the youngin's life. You do not necessarily have to put extra effort into taking them to all their sports matches or make them dinner or anything, but that too is appreciated. Simply showing that you are listening to them and taking them seriously or willing to spend some time with them is enough to show them that you care.

My grandmother's birthday is today. She was a huge part of my life growing up and taught me many things, especially things about myself. My grandmother made me feel worthy of being loved and believed in me when I felt no one did. She taught me compassion and how to rely on God, not just through words, but through action. Guella (pronounced Way-ah) continues to be a huge part of my life and helps me be a better person and live a better life. Guella has done so much for me in my lifetime and I don't think I will ever tire of telling everyone.

I know there are people similar to her in the world and I hope they realize they are extremely appreciated, whether the person they have affected is able to tell them that or not. These are the people in society that deserve to be recognized but most often are not because of their humility.

Time has become precious and relationships, complicated. With multi-tasking being "all the rage" and pure relationships like a unicorn, simply showing an interest in what a person has to say and spending quality time with them can foster goodness inside them, goodness that might otherwise be suppressed or neglected.

With that being said, thank you. If you are a person who has ever spent time with a younger person or offered positive advice, thank you. If you have ever put someone younger before yourself, thank you. If you have ever thought about being a mentor, it is never too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment