30 October 2013

Pan Dulce y Champurrado

Did I previously mention my involvement with the latin@ group on campus called Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán (M.E.Ch.A.)? Whether or not I did, I am a co-president of the group and helped put on today's celebration of a Mexican holiday, El Dia de Los Muertos. It is not technically a two-day celebration, but our group wanted to include as many people that attend classes at this campus, especially those that commute, in our celebration. Our first day was a success! There was a great turnout and the pan dulce and champurrado we provided were a hit!!

Our set-up in the common area, complete with an altar with decorations and a list of the deceased we are honoring as well as a bit of history behind the cultural event.
As much as I enjoyed receiving compliments on our display and the food and drinks, I hope that tomorrow we can provide more cultural background to the festivities - it being Halloween and all. I will be making the champurrado tomorrow morning which I will, of course, document and post about tomorrow. I will also provide the recipe for champurrado on the Recipes page.

On a side note: I am very excited for Halloween tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment