09 October 2013

Nursing Diagnosis

Earlier this morning my friend and I were discussing other majors we would be if we could be more than one major. The self-imposed limit was four, so I chose five:

  1. Athletic training
  2. Anthropology
  3. Psychology
  4. Creative Writing
  5. Microbiology
Sitting in the fading light of the afternoon helped me contemplate why I was not a double major. There were the obvious reasons (financial, temporal, etc.), but I kept returning to a thought I have had more and more frequently - there is too much to know. With whatever subject topic, there is literally too much to know. 

For instance, before I reflected on the previously mentioned conversation I was becoming increasingly overwhelmed with the amount of work I had to accomplish before the weekend. Added to the stress, I also felt the pressure of having to complete a major health requirement for clinical when I did not have the adequate level of health literacy to do so. (I'll talk about health literacy tomorrow. Point being, my anxiety level was high.) I could not imagine completing and being able to properly understand it all. There was too much to learn! 

My dilemma reminded me of a book I read over the summer called Too Big To Know which discussed the difficult topic of knowledge. It was a bit of a tough read conceptually, but it flowed well. I definitely recommend it for intellectual stimulation. Anyway, it talked about how knowledge has more depth now than ever before because of the increasing amount of knowledge available world-wide. It is actually rather mind-blowing. The book made it a point to reassure its readers that no matter how many books, articles, webpages, so on and so forth one reads, one will never be a know-it-all. As weird as it sounds, thinking about the book and all that it had to say calmed me and helped me focus on the tasks at hand. 

Oh the strange things I think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment