18 October 2013

#Late

Today's Photo-a-day challenge hashtag is, coincidentally, "late" and so is this blogpost. I meant to write this last night, but I was terribly exhausted after a long, difficult day as well as battling a cold.

My powerful thought for the day came after the aforementioned day and receiving a text from a friend from the McMinnville campus about being in Portland for a show at a theater nearby. I was initially crestfallen, thinking I would not be able to meet up because I was heading to clinical at the time. It was only later that night that I realized I might have the chance to meet up afterward. Three guesses what I did after clinical!

Clarification: the thought itself was not powerful, but the meaning behind it was.

The thought was simply, "Man, I really missed Rhianna." I have not seen my friend in about 6 months and I was overwhelmingly glad to see her. Rhianna's presence has the effect one would think most friends would have - immediate and simultaneous inner calm and abounding joy. Needless to say, I was genuinely happy to be reunited.

My reaction made me think of missing people. I may be the only one that thinks about it this way, but when I miss people, I am either consciously or unconsciously doing so. When I consciously miss someone, I think about them often enough that I feel disheartened that they are not present or gleeful when I can communicate with them. It is more of a physical feeling than a mental thought. When I unconsciously miss someone, I may have a memory replay about the last time I saw them or a prominent characteristic of theirs, but there is no physical response.

Neither is worse nor better than the other - I am still thinking of the person fondly. I just thought it was interesting the different ways I miss people and thought I would share in case others felt the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment