10 October 2013

Oh My.

It is definitely getting busier and busier here in nursing school - we are past the introductory stage and into the learn-what-you-want-to stage. As stressed as I may feel, I know it is only because I am pushing myself to get things done ahead of time so I have time to catch up if I have questions or if I want to look up other related things. For instance, the other day in class we watched part of a YouTube video on congestive heart failure (CHF). Our professor showed it to us because of its relation to ineffective tissue perfusion (oxygen not getting to the body parts that need it), but I was really interested in it because I know someone who suffers from CHF so I "wasted" 10 minutes watching the rest of the video after class.

Even today at clinical I felt like I was bustling about the entire time - because I was! I had the opportunity to speak with the physical therapist, occupational therapist, and each of the nurses and CNAs. I also was able to help with perineal care, wound care, physical therapy, toileting, showering, feeding, and drug administration. I even had time to conduct a full health assessment (including vital signs; listening to bowel, lung, and heart sounds; and skin assessment) and work on paperwork on my resident for IEL!

I kept myself as busy as I could (1) because everything is still pretty new to me and (2) I wanted to have as many experiences as I could within the few weeks we have left. Needless to say, I am exhausted and it FEELS SO GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment