14 January 2014

Correlation Does Not Equal Causation.

This post stems from an experience I had today. I apologize if I may seem a little harsh or unfair in any way - it might be due to residual shock, anger, or exhaustion.

I was pulling out of a parking space, looking both behind me for other cars and in front of me for the car parked next to me. My car's tail end was already sticking out in the isle when I looked back and saw a car barreling towards me. The isle was not wide enough for her to pass me and I was clearly in the isle so I paused a moment to see if she would slow down. Noticing that the car was not slowing down, I immediately pulled forward, back into my stall. The car honked repeatedly as it swerved and passed. I turned back around and saw that the car had slowed down and the older lady driving the vehicle was glaring at me. I honked back at her and mouthed "slow down," automatically furious that she had almost hit me. She continued to honk and glare and finally drove off.

Now I know it seems like an overreaction to the situation, but it brings to mind a stereotype of young and older drivers. I understand that young drivers may not have as much experience with driving, but that does not necessarily make them poor drivers. Nor does that make experienced drivers good drivers. That does not make experienced drivers poor drivers either. What I am saying is, one should not place judgement or blame based on the looks or age of a driver. Just because I was probably the less experienced driver in the situation, does not automatically make it my fault.

For now, I am grateful that nothing happened and I hope that the woman is no longer in any hurry and/or will not cause any accidents in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment