10 January 2014

Take An Unplanned Road Trip: The Point Defiance 5-Mile Drive

Point Defiance Park is home to Pt. Defiance Zoo and Aquarium and was the key location of my unplanned road trip. I have been to the park before, but I have never properly explored it. Today was the day!


The weather was awful - stereotypical of the Pacific Northwest. As soon as my brother returned from school, we packed up and took off in the direction of the park. It was soon decided my brother would be my navigator, so I handed him the map I had made and maneuvered through the streets of Tacoma to our first pit stop.



We arrived at my grandparents' house and ate a quick snack, detailing our plans for the afternoon and looking over the map. After saying goodbye, we continued our journey to Ruston Way and drove along the waterfront before reaching the park. Once there, we put aside the map and followed along the 5-Mile Drive.



The drive led us to several viewpoints which overlooked the Puget Sound. On this horribly rainy day, the sight of the Sound was a welcome compensation to the alternative moisture that seemingly provoked us from all angles. I took as many pictures as I dared of the flora and the fauna as we drove slowly along the winding path through the park.



It was a wonderful couple of hours spent wandering, although I would have loved to spend more time enjoying the scenery by foot. The mini-road trip was a perfect start to the weekend and tickled my sense of adventure. I will always enjoy traveling and I look forward to wherever the road of life takes me next!

No comments:

Post a Comment