09 January 2014

Spend a Whole Day Reading a Novel: The Twelve Tribes of Hattie

I knew for this challenge I would want to pick the right book, not just any book I had on hand. I began reading it the night before and I knew that that I wanted to spend the entire day with it, reading, reflecting, and processing it.

The novel is about Hattie Shepherd and the raising of her children in 20th-century Philadelphia. Hattie, an African-American, struggles to provide for her children with her husband August who ends up being more of a disappointment to her than anything else. A tragedy early on in their marriage results in a lifetime of anger and resentment for Hattie. Her children, raised with her callousness, go on to lead very different lives and constantly ache for their mother's love. The brief snapshots into her and her children's lives, however, provide insight to the inner workings of the Shepherd family and Hattie's immense love for her children.

Throughout the tales of Hattie and her children, I contemplated my future family and reflected on my own familial relations. As much as I say I do not like children, I actually do. I just don't feel comfortable with them because I do not know where my boundaries are as a stranger. I am neither a parent nor other family member, so what can I do to show my affection and well-being for the child? I would love to show affection for young'uns because that's how I feel most comfortable with children.
Hattie, on the other hand, worked immensely to keep her children fed and clothed. Some might consider this an implied responsibility of mothership, but with the constant barrage of hardships she had endured I consider this quite a feat for her. Hattie felt as though there was no more love in her to be given after doing all that was necessary for her children.


At one point, Hattie blames herself for not recognizing her daughter's distress. She says, "I never did know what to do about my children's spirits. I didn't know how to health anybody in that way." My compassion for her rose to new heights as I read those lines. What I saw in those lines was a woman exhausted by providing for her family trying to be a better mother. She gave no excuses, she simply stated her faults. 

I wonder how much I will change my response to children if I do become a parent. I can now discern the love my parents and grandparents expressed in doing what was necessary for me, especially when I did not appreciate it, but I wonder if I will have the fortitude to do that for my children if the time comes... 

No comments:

Post a Comment