18 January 2014

Sarah's Key

A couple years ago, my cousin lent me a book she read as part of her high school English class. It seemed an easy read, so I read it. Later I found out it would be made into a book and recently I had the opportunity to see it.

The novel opens on the story of Sarah, a young Jewish girl swept into the tragedies of World War II who tries to protect her younger brother Michel by locking him in a secret compartment in their apartment. She and her parents are arrested and taken to the Velodrome to await their fate, along with thousands of other Jews.

Years later, a woman named Julia is researching the Velodrome for an international news magazine and stumbles upon Sarah's story. She soon discovers that Sarah's story is woven into her in-laws past and surreptitiously uncovers that the truth surrounding Sarah's family and France during World War II.

The novel left me mourning for days over the great losses of the Holocaust and Sarah's experiences during that time. The movie was a bit of a disappointment (as almost all movies are compared to the book). In particular, the transitions between Sarah and Julia's life were very abrupt and vexing to the overall tale.

Fortunately, both mediums achieve the same overall effect: the provocation of courage and and hope for those who have suffered immense misfortune. As in all movies based around World War II, the question lingers: what would I have done during WWII?

One point I took from the book was the love Sarah had for her brother and her family. I am the first to admit that I am very attached to my family, especially my siblings. That characteristic alone made me particularly empathetic towards Sarah's guilt in leaving her brother behind and the hope that she carries for her brother's safety throughout her journey home is heart-breaking.

As much as I would like to recommend Sarah's Key, I would not want to claim responsibility of any possible heartbreak resulting from it... However, if one is interested in the Holocaust and/or a tale of love encapsulated by secrets then I highly recommend Sarah's Key.

No comments:

Post a Comment