09 January 2014

Thankful Thursday, Pt. 2

I barely slept last night and I've been fighting the fog that is currently my brain all day to be as productive as possible on this rainy, no-good Thursday.

That being said, today I was awoken by a very chipper Saul (my brother) who asked me to drive him to school after being sick for so long. (1) He is not one for being excited about going to school and (2) he just got over a horrendous cold. I helped feed him breakfast and drove him to school where his teacher and assistants greeted him with enthusiasm. My heart could not help but be warmed by their kindness.

My mother took me along on an errand and, thoughtfully considering my half-conscious state, took me to Starbucks. There I tried the new Caramel Flan latte - thank goodness I only ordered a tall! It tasted more like caramel than flan, but I appreciated the sweetness all the same.

Upon returning home, my mother began folding laundry while I ate breakfast and described one of the books I am currently reading. She was interested, so I began reading aloud. I kept her enthralled for a few chapters before my voice became hoarse. I forgot how much I enjoy reading out loud.

Later on I had a chance to visit with my grandparents. My grandfather always tells the best stories of his childhood and today he told me about a field near his hometown in Mexico that grew jamaica. He told me that the jamaica was sold by meter plots. My grandfather explained that they would cut up the jamaica and make traditional pico de gallo out of it.

Unfortunately I had to leave soon after the story in order to be home in time to collect my brother from the school bus. Saul's reaction to seeing me waiting for him never fails to make me smile. His exuberance has not yet faded as we sit together watching Chicken Little, hours later.

It's the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment