08 January 2014

Insomnia, Colds, and Resilience

Today, like many other days, was uneventful. I spent most of it holding my sick brother and reading while a movie played in the foreground and the rain fell outside. Saul's coughs were the only thing that shattered the stillness.

I am currently reading a book about insomnia. I have been struggling with sleep the last few months and thought that the book would be a nice educational interlude to my feast of fiction novels during the month of January. The book, Insomniac by Gayle Greene, discusses the many aspects surrounding sleep and insomnia and is a great resource to those interested in learning more about such topics.

One of the reoccurring statements the author makes about insomniacs is their resilience. As a person who struggles watching others' suffering (whether that is due to my profession or some innate characteristic bestowed on me at birth), I ache for the people described in the book to be struggling to find jobs and doctors that will help them manage their insomnia. I suppose the point I am trying to make is that though they struggle to make it through the day, they try to do so. 

I am not naive to think that if one is sick, one might certainly rest. Having attended school and work while battling illness, I know taking time off for healing is not always feasible and I understand that illness and health mean different things to different people, however, I commend those that are focused on returning to health and/or do not accept the condition as part of life.

Watching my brother sleep while a mild fever ran rampant through his body and his coughs strained to remove the buildup in his lungs was enough for me. I know colds come and go and each time our bodies become more resilient to the virus, but it was hard to watch it manifest in a lack of appetite and energy (two things my brother is not known for). It seemed as though my brother had suspended his healing process and it made me far more protective than I normally would have been. Hopefully he will be feeling better (physically and mentally) tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment