11 January 2014

Following the Funny Feeling: the Tale of a Stray Dog

This morning my dad had the uncanny idea that today would be a good day for a walk with our dog, Echo. We bundled up and got started walking down the street, noticing that the sky was getting darker as we distanced ourself from home.

Dad and I had barely left the neighborhood when we saw the stray dog, sniffing around the bushes. Echo greeted the dog in his normal fashion as I reached for her name tag. In place of her name tag was the number for what turned out to be the local Animal Control agency. As I called the number, trying to figure out what to do, our neighbor drove up and offered his assistance. None of us recognized the dog from our neighborhood so we decided it was best to take her to the Humane Society.

I, of course, grew attached to the dog in the short time we new each other. I nicknamed her Hattie, partially after the character in the novel I recently read, but also because she escaped our hands three times (hat trick). She is very well behaved and friendly and not to mention gorgeous! How could I not become attached?

Fortunately we were able to drop her off at the Humane Society and got a number to call in a few days to see if she is doing okay. Hopefully her owners will find her.

Strangely enough, my dad insisted on going on a walk, despite the fact that it was down pouring. He later admitted that he had had a funny feeling about it and decided to follow it. Thank goodness we did, otherwise we might not have been able to help Hattie!

No comments:

Post a Comment