13 January 2014

Ridiculous Analogies of My Current State of Being

As I was running errands and interacting with people today, I realized how much more entertaining things would be if we could sum up how we are through analogies. For instance, instead of the typical dialogue:
Cashier: How are you?
Me: I'm good, thanks. How are you?
Cashier: Good. I'm good.
 Me: Good.
Our conversations would flow more like this:
Cashier: How are you?
Me: I am swimming in the ocean, with one eye on the shoreline, listening to the waves calling me further in. How are you?
Cashier: I'm sorry to hear that. I am melted chocolate without a mold, shaped only by a caring hand.
Me: Good for you! I hope your day matches your mood.
I swear, I'm not crazy. I just have a hard time brushing people off when they or I ask how the other is. I do not necessarily want to tell them my whole life story, but at the same time I wish we could share a little bit of our lives with each other without it being awkward. I understand that some people have enough problems and wouldn't necessarily want to bother nor be bothered by anyone else, but it irks me that I can't have a bad day in public. It's not appropriate.

For instance, today I was exhausted from a rough night and constantly felt irritated by those around me. I knew my poor mood was due to lack of sleep and I felt myself constantly correct behavior. After a while my frustration grew and I retreated home to relax.

My challenge is this: ask someone how they are doing and mean it. Ask after their family or their job or school and talk with them if they want to continue the conversation. Make time to make a connection with someone - you never know, they might need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment