16 January 2014

Review: Revenge Wears Prada

The sequel to the New York Times' Bestseller The Devil Wears Prada picks up soon after it left off. Andrea ("Andy") Sachs takes time to freelance and eventually meets up with her ex-nemesis and future best friend and business partner Emily. Together they create a wedding magazine in the high-fashion style of Runway. After building up the magazine they are offered a once-in-a-lifetime acquirement deal from the company Elias-Clark whom Miranda Priestly, Andy and Emily's ex-boss, just happens to work for. The acquirement of their magazine would mean that Andy and Emily would be working for Miranda again. Many changes have occurred since working for Miranda, both on Miranda's part and Andy's, and Andy is left with a very difficult decision. Laced with the glamour of high-fashion and complicated relationships common in The Devil Wears Prada, Revenge Wears Prada succeeds in drawing readers to a new period in a working woman's life - including the joys and difficulties of marriage and family.

Although I did not enjoy the sequel so much as I did the original, I did connect to it. The constant barrage of pressure on Andy is something relatable to all, whether it be work, friendships, or family. I frequently frustrated myself with how Andy tolerated everything, convinced that I would have handled things much differently. For instance, the obvious injustices she endures was enough to make me shut the book several times in one sitting to calm myself before continuing. That being said, Lauren Weisberger writes very convincingly and in such a way that readers are drawn into work politics and empathize as if the problems were their own.

Overall I would give the book 3/5 owls.

No comments:

Post a Comment